Start a Business in North Dakota
Corporate Compliance by Local Corporate Guides®
Starting a business in North Dakota can and should be easier than you think. You file simple forms with the secretary of state, and your business is formed! Obviously there’s a few more things than that, but if you’d like to start your own business yourself, you will find it easy to hire us as your registered agent and you’ll find all the forms you could file to start a business in North Dakota, along with great filing instructions on the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in North Dakota.
How to Start a Business in North Dakota
You file articles of incorporation for a North Dakota corporation or articles of organization for a North Dakota LLC with the ND Secretary of State.
You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of North Dakota showing your approved North Dakota business.
Opening a business banking account under your new North Dakota business name should be easy with these two items.
If you’re going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax, you will probably need to register with the ND Office of the State Tax Commissioner. We provide all these links in your online account.
You obtain a trade license, if you actually need one. (Most businesses don’t.) Some North Dakota licenses are issued by either the ND Attorney General or the ND Secretary of State. Links and information are in your online account.
You obtain a local business license, if the city or county you’re going to be working in requires it.
If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
Are You A Do-It-Yourselfer? You Can Save Some Money:
If you want to start a business in North Dakota yourself, you can just hire us as your North Dakota registered agent, and you’ll instantly have the North Dakota LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate a North Dakota corporation or form a North Dakota LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional North Dakota registered agent service.
If you want a corporation, you file North Dakota Articles of Incorporation:
The North Dakota articles of incorporation cost $100 with the North Dakota Secretary of State.
We custom draft your North Dakota articles of incorporation when you hire Northwest to start your North Dakota business.
The basic requirements of North Dakota corporations are:
- The North Dakota corporation must have a corporate ending such as incorporated, corporation or an abbreviation thereof.
- The duration of the corporation is “perpetual” unless otherwise stated.
- The purpose of the North Dakota corporation.
- The number of shares the North Dakota corporation is authorized to issue and par value.
- The name of the registered agent in North Dakota and the registered office address.
- The name and address of the directors of the North Dakota corporation.
- The name and address of the North Dakota incorporators.
- Date of execution.
- The North Dakota incorporator must sign the articles of incorporation.
- The name and business address of the person preparing the ND articles of incorporation.
North Dakota does not require original signatures on new ND corporation filings. The stamped form will be mailed to the address of the person who filed the documents.
Start Your North Dakota Business!GET STARTED
If you want a LLC, you file North Dakota Articles of Organization:
To form a North Dakota LLC, file articles of organization and pay the $135 fee.
The basic requirements of North Dakota LLC filings are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it such as LLC, L.L.C.
- The North Dakota business name must be different than already registered North Dakota businesses.
- The duration of the North Dakota LLC, (Usually perpetual.)
- North Dakota limited liability companies do not need to state a LLC purpose.
- The North Dakota registered agent and the physical address.
- The names and addresses of the initial member(s) are not required
- If the ND limited liability company is to be managed by one or more managers, you must specify this management structure. Managers names are not required.
- Someone must sign as the ND LLC organizer.
North Dakota does not require original signatures on new ND LLC filings. You’ll get a certificate of formation mailed back to you after the state approves your filing.