Louisiana Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A Louisiana registered agent is a resident or company that maintains a physical registered office address in Louisiana and is willing to accept legal documents and official mail on behalf of a business. All business entities registered in the state are legally required to have a Louisiana registered agent.
With our Louisiana registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Louisiana Registered Agents:
What Do Louisiana Registered Agents Do?
At minimum, Louisiana registered agents accept documents on behalf of your business in Louisiana at a location called a registered office.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for Louisiana Registered Agents?
According to the Louisiana Law (RS 12:1-501), whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation, the state of Louisiana requires the same from a registered agent:
- The agent for service of process must be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- Must maintain a registered office (a physical address in Louisiana).
- Accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
- If an individual is appointed, he or she must be at least 18 years of age.
How Do I Change My Louisiana Registered Agent?
- File a Notice of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office form with the Louisiana Secretary of State.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly.
- It’s a simple process, but for more info, see our change your Louisiana registered agent page.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Northwest Phone Service: We know your business needs don’t stop at formation. That’s why we now offer Northwest Phone Service, a feature-packed virtual phone line that allows you to call and text your customers from any device. Our in-house Phone Service is just $9 monthly, with the first 60 days included FREE of charge when you hire us as your registered agent.
- Free Credit Card Processing Consultation: Considering accepting credit and debit card payments? We can help you sort that out. When you hire us, you have the option to sign up for a complimentary in-house call with our card industry specialists who work with processors to negotiate low rates and better contracts on your behalf. Check out our Payment Processing Service page to learn more.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Louisiana Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Louisiana Registered Agent?
- The state requires all Louisiana registered businesses to appoint one.
- The Secretary of State will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- Basically, the registered agent requirement exists so the state and general public have a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Louisiana?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Louisiana. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Louisiana registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Louisiana?
We accept and scan all of our Louisiana clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Baton Rouge, LA.
Can I Use Your Louisiana Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Louisiana Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Louisiana?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the Louisiana secretary of state will reject your business registration filing if you don’t. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Louisiana Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Louisiana registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A Louisiana Registered Agent?
- You can do a Louisiana business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a business through their Louisiana registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How To Order Louisiana Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Louisiana registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Louisiana Secretary of State is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Louisiana registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Louisiana registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Louisiana corporate compliance.