Start a Business in West Virginia
Starting a business in West Virginia is easy. All you need to do is file a few forms with the West Virginia Secretary of State and start running your business. Below, we show you how to get started and walk you through some of your options.
One option is, of course, to stop reading and just hire us to start your business for you. At Northwest, we form businesses and provide registered agent service throughout the US. That’s our business, and obviously we recommend starting your business in a certain way. We call it “Starting a Business the Right Way."
Starting your business the right way means hiring a registered agent to form your LLC or corporation so you can protect your privacy and receive the care your business needs to stay active. If you hire us to start your West Virginia business, we’ll be your registered agent, provide Privacy by Default®, a business address, mail forwarding and local Corporate Guide® service for life.
How to Start a Business in West Virginia
File articles of incorporation for a West Virginia corporation or articles of organization for a West Virginia LLC with the WV Secretary of State. Additionally, file your initial statement of information.
You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of West Virginia showing your approved West Virginia business.
Opening a business banking account under your new West Virginia business name should be easy with your formation documents and tax id.
If you’re going to do business in WV, you will probably need to register with the West Virginia State Tax Department. We provide all these links in your online account.
Additionally, many local municipalities have a Business and Occupation Tax, so you may need to register with the city.
If your business trade requires a license, you’ll have to apply for a license with the West Virginia licensing division. (Most businesses don’t.) But if you do, these quick links and contact details are in your online account. You may also need a city or county license (for example, a County Health Department license to handle food).
If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
Are You A Do-It-Yourselfer? You Can Save Some Money:
If you want to start a business in West Virginia yourself, you can just hire us as your West Virginia registered agent, and you’ll instantly have the West Virginia LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate a West Virginia corporation or form a West Virginia LLC. You’ll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional West Virginia registered agent service.START YOUR WEST VIRGINIA BUSINESS TODAY
West Virginia LLC vs Corporation
Generally speaking, LLCs are popular for small businesses. LLCs have fewer formal requirements, more flexible management and more tax classification options. Corporations are more popular for large or fast-growing businesses. Stocks make investing easier, and different kinds of stock can attract investors. Corporate roles and processes are more clearly defined.
But, what about West Virginia? Any pros and cons for a West Virginia LLC vs a WV corporation?
There aren’t any significant advantages to starting a West Virginia LLC versus a West Virginia corporation. Both the Articles of Incorporation and Organization will cost $100 for paper filings. In addition, both entities are required to submit annual reports ($25) each year with the West Virginia Secretary of State. However, the state does provide incentives for veteran-owned businesses. For example, your LLC or corporation could qualify to have its filing fees waved upon formation.
During tax season, LLCs and corporations will be treated fairly equally. The West Virginia corporate income tax is a flat rate at 7.75%. Rates for personal income range between 3% and 6.5%. The state also assesses an annual property tax that averages at 0.59%.
If you want a corporation, you file West Virginia Articles of Incorporation:
The West Virginia articles of incorporation cost $130.68 to file online with the West Virginia Secretary of State.
We custom draft your West Virginia articles of incorporation when you hire Northwest to start your West Virginia business.
The basic requirements of West Virginia corporations are:
- The West Virginia corporation must have a corporate ending such as incorporated, corporation or an abbreviation thereof.
- The duration of the corporation is perpetual unless the articles state otherwise.
- The purpose of the West Virginia corporation may include specific and general language.
- The number of shares the West Virginia corporation is authorized to issue and the value of each share.
- The name and address of the registered agent in West Virginia.
- The name and address of the West Virginia incorporators.
- The mailing address of the corporations principal office.
- An email address where annual report reminders may be sent.
- The West Virginia incorporator must sign the articles of incorporation.
West Virginia does not require original signatures on new corporation filings. The stamped form will be mailed to the address of the person who filed the documents.
Start Your West Virginia Business!GET STARTED
If you want a LLC, you file West Virginia Articles of Organization:
To form a West Virginia LLC, file articles of organization online and pay the $130.68 filing fee.
The basic requirements of West Virginia LLC filings are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it.
- New West Virginia LLCs name must be different than already registered West Virginia companies.
- Duration of the West Virginia LLC.
- The purpose of the West Virginia limited liability company.
- The West Virginia registered agent and the designated office address.
- The principal office address and its mailing address (if different).
- An email address where annual report reminders may be sent.
- Name and address of each LLC organizer.
- If the limited liability company is to be managed by managers or members.
- List of LLC members and/or managers
- The contact person’s name, phone, number and signature
West Virginia does not require original signatures on new WV LLC filings.